DAVOS, Switzerland - The manic dealmaking of the years before the financial crisis may be some way off, but acquisitions were certainly back on the agenda for the CEOs of many companies attending the World Economic Forum in Davos over the past week.
NEW YORK - The world's top accountants are warning that plans by the United States to move to global accounting standards are vulnerable to major delays and the process could get very politicized.
DAVOS, Switzerland - The top executive was on a roll -- Barack Obama didn't know what he was doing, he didn't understand business, he didn't realize knee-jerk pronouncements could destroy jobs.
DAVOS, Switzerland - Australia will find it very difficult to attract new private equity investments while a tax dispute remains unresolved, warned Stephen Schwarzman, the chief executive of one of the most powerful private equity firms, Blackstone Group .
DAVOS, Switzerland - A bank-funded safety net to absorb large failures could help shield markets and rebuild trust in the financial system, but regulators backing the idea will need to strike a delicate balance.
DAVOS, Switzerland - Russian businessmen at the World Economic Forum in Davos struck a gloomy note this week, with many uncertain about the country's direction and others warning a climate of corporate fear could hamper growth.
DAVOS, Switzerland - The heads of three of the largest private equity firms in the world expressed optimism that 2010 will be a stronger year for acquisitions and for sales of companies already in their portfolios.
Depending on how you measure economic improvement, it seems the rising tide did lift all boats. But it may be in ways that aren’t sustainable.
- Obama vows U.S. response to North Korea over Sony cyber attack |
- China arrests U.S. missionary near North Korea border
- Israel bombs Gaza militant base after rocket hits southern Israel
- U.S. swimmer Phelps sentenced to 18 months probation for drunken driving
- Cuba's Raul Castro steps out of brother's shadow with U.S. deal, support surges
- U.S. backed talks with ISIS over American hostage: newspaper
- Staples says security breach may have affected 1.16 million cards
- Exclusive: GM develops contingency plans in case Takata recalls widen
- Exclusive: Iran's support for Syria tested by oil price drop
- EU leaders prepare for long confrontation with Russia |