NEW YORK A federal judge threw out a challenge to a North Carolina law that allows government officials to refuse to perform same-sex marriages if they cite religious objections, claiming the couples who brought the suit failed to establish they were harmed by the law.
MELBOURNE Thousands of Australians marched at same-sex marriage rallies across the country on Saturday calling on whichever party wins a July 2 national election to quickly introduce same-sex marriage laws.
Nearly half of gay and lesbian couples living together in the United States are married a year after the Supreme Court's decision to legalize same-sex marriage across the country, according to a Gallup study released on Wednesday.
WASHINGTON The Obama administration's top Supreme Court lawyer is leaving office at the end of June having won a string of major cases including fending off challenges to President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law and legalizing same-sex marriage.
OSLO Norway's Lutheran Church voted on Monday in favor of allowing same-sex marriage, becoming the latest of a small but growing number of churches worldwide to do so.
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. After scoring wins for same-sex marriage rights and anti-discrimination protections, U.S. equality advocacy groups now find themselves in a battle over bathrooms. | Video
From Thomson Reuters News & Insight
- Brief in same-sex marriage cases cite burdens on employers
- Analysis: Wider legal rights at stake in gay marriage cases
- Exclusive: Gay marriage foes suffer from fundraising shortfall
- Supreme Court taps Harvard professor to argue in gay marriage case
- Factbox: Major U.S. Supreme Court decisions on gay rights
Case documents (Westlaw subscription may be required)
- Hollingsworth v. Perry, petitioners brief
- Hollingsworth v. Perry, respondents brief
- U.S. v. Windsor, U.S. merits brief
- U.S. v. Windsor, Indiana, et al amicus brief
- U.S. v. Windsor, NY, MA, CA, et al amicus brief
- U.S. v. Windsor, Windsor brief
- U.S. v. Windsor, brief in support of DOMA
- Former federal intelligence officer amicus brief
- Center for Outserve-SLDN Inc. amicus brief
- Center for Constitutional Jurisprudence amicus brief
- NAACP amicus brief