LUXEMBOURG - Luxembourg swore in Xavier Bettel as its first openly gay prime minister on Wednesday, paving the way for the introduction of social reforms such as same-sex marriage.
- Former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney entered the fray between his daughters over gay marriage on Monday as he rose to defend Liz Cheney, a Republican Senate candidate from Wyoming whose stance against same-sex nuptials has drawn barbs from her lesbian sister.
SPRING CITY, Pennsylvania - A pastor on trial by Methodist church officials for officiating at his son's same-sex marriage said on Monday he had been conflicted about performing the 2007 ceremony, but chose to violate his denomination's teachings out of love for his child.
HONOLULU - Opponents of Hawaii's new gay marriage law failed in their bid to block implementation of the measure on Thursday when a judge refused to grant a court order preventing marriage licenses from being issued to same-sex couples beginning next month.
CHICAGO - A Catholic bishop in Illinois said on Thursday he was planning prayers of "supplication and exorcism" to protest the state governor's plan to sign same-sex marriage into law.
HONOLULU - Hawaii's House of Representatives approved a bill on Friday to legalize same-sex marriage in the overwhelmingly Democratic state popular as a wedding and honeymoon destination, paving the way for anticipated final passage in the Senate next week.
From Thomson Reuters News & Insight
- Brief in same-sex marriage cases cite burdens on employers
- Analysis: Wider legal rights at stake in gay marriage cases
- Exclusive: Gay marriage foes suffer from fundraising shortfall
- Supreme Court taps Harvard professor to argue in gay marriage case
- Factbox: Major U.S. Supreme Court decisions on gay rights
Case documents (Westlaw subscription may be required)
- Hollingsworth v. Perry, petitioners brief
- Hollingsworth v. Perry, respondents brief
- U.S. v. Windsor, U.S. merits brief
- U.S. v. Windsor, Indiana, et al amicus brief
- U.S. v. Windsor, NY, MA, CA, et al amicus brief
- U.S. v. Windsor, Windsor brief
- U.S. v. Windsor, brief in support of DOMA
- Former federal intelligence officer amicus brief
- Center for Outserve-SLDN Inc. amicus brief
- Center for Constitutional Jurisprudence amicus brief
- NAACP amicus brief