- A U.S. appeals court on Monday struck down Virginia's ban on same-sex marriage as unconstitutional, the latest in a string of court rulings across the country to back gay marriage.
DENVER - A Colorado county clerk who issued nearly three dozen same-sex marriage licenses agreed on Monday to halt the practice after the state's highest court ordered another clerk to stop issuing the permits to gay couples.
MIAMI - A judge in the Florida Keys on Monday rejected an emergency motion filed by a gay couple hoping to wed, effectively allowing Florida's same-sex marriage ban to remain in effect while it is appealed, likely all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.
WASHINGTON - With legal battles over gay marriage simmering across the United States, proponents are showcasing a group they had once sidelined: children.
Oklahoma City - A U.S. appeals court on Friday upheld a lower court decision voiding as unconstitutional Oklahoma's ban on same-sex marriage, drawing on a similar decision it made for Utah.
TAMPA Fla. - Wedding bells may not be ringing anytime soon for gay couples in Florida, as conservatives vowed on Friday to fight a circuit judge's landmark ruling to strike down the state's same-sex marriage ban, a rising political issue for the fall elections.
From Thomson Reuters News & Insight
- Brief in same-sex marriage cases cite burdens on employers
- Analysis: Wider legal rights at stake in gay marriage cases
- Exclusive: Gay marriage foes suffer from fundraising shortfall
- Supreme Court taps Harvard professor to argue in gay marriage case
- Factbox: Major U.S. Supreme Court decisions on gay rights
Case documents (Westlaw subscription may be required)
- Hollingsworth v. Perry, petitioners brief
- Hollingsworth v. Perry, respondents brief
- U.S. v. Windsor, U.S. merits brief
- U.S. v. Windsor, Indiana, et al amicus brief
- U.S. v. Windsor, NY, MA, CA, et al amicus brief
- U.S. v. Windsor, Windsor brief
- U.S. v. Windsor, brief in support of DOMA
- Former federal intelligence officer amicus brief
- Center for Outserve-SLDN Inc. amicus brief
- Center for Constitutional Jurisprudence amicus brief
- NAACP amicus brief