WASHINGTON - The regulator for U.S. housing finance giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac <FMCC.OB) said on Friday it wants the two firms to provide more support to some low-income Americans taking out mortgages and refinancing their home loans.
WASHINGTON - Stronger job creation in the United States is making economists more optimistic about the outlook for home resales over the next two years, according to a Reuters poll that showed little change to expectations for house price rises.
Aug 27 - Fannie Mae , the largest U.S. home funding source, said on Wednesday it sold $500 million of benchmark bills at lower interest rates compared with last week's sale of similar maturities.
- Goldman Sachs Group Inc has agreed to a settlement worth $1.2 billion to resolve a U.S. regulator's claims the bank sold Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac faulty mortgage bonds, the regulator announced Friday.
WASHINGTON - Bank of America Corp is expected to pay more than $16.5 billion to end investigations into mortgage securities that the bank and its units sold in the run-up to the financial crisis, in a deal that could be announced as early as Thursday, a person familiar with the matter said.
NEW YORK - Applications for U.S. home mortgages rose last week as demand for refinancing increased, an industry group said on Wednesday. | Video
WASHINGTON - U.S. housing starts surged to an eight-month high in July, suggesting the nation's housing market recovery was back on track after stalling in the second half of last year. | Video
- The Architecture Billings Index, considered a leading indicator of U.S. non-residential construction, rose in July to a seven-year high, the American Institute of Architects said on Wednesday. | Video
NEW YORK - U.S. homebuilding stocks rose on Monday, boosted by data that showed homebuilder sentiment rose in August to its highest level since January.
- Pershing Square Capital Management LP, the hedge fund firm run by William Ackman, has sued the U.S. government, claiming that its stripping of Fannie Mae's and Freddie Mac's profit illegally short changes investors in the mortgage companies' common stock.
Business News Headlines
- Fiat-Chrysler sees New York stock market listing on October 13
- Worried EU leaders call jobs, growth summit for October 7: draft
- U.S. coal stocks could gain on Russia tension
- Alibaba aims to launch share sale in early September: source
- China graft watchdog probes another executive at Chinese car maker
- Fiat-Chrysler CEO says shareholders backing of merger is 'huge step ahead'
- Exclusive: U.S. options exchanges craft rules to fend off turmoil
- Exclusive: Bitcoin promoter to plead guilty to unlicensed money transmission
- Exclusive: Intel hires senior Qualcomm exec to boost mobile business
- Indian investigators drop coal scam case against billionaire Birla