WASHINGTON - Contracts to purchase previously owned U.S. homes rose to their highest level in 1-1/2 years in February, a sign the lackluster recovery in the U.S. housing market could be accelerating.
WASHINGTON - The regulator for the nation's two biggest housing finance firms issued a final rule on Thursday keeping in place restrictions on how the firms deal with the costs of their contributions to a national housing trust fund.
NEW YORK - Applications for U.S. home mortgages rose last week as interest rates dropped to their lowest level since February, an industry group said on Wednesday.
New U.S. single-family home sales surged in February to their highest level in seven years despite harsh winter weather, in a hopeful sign for the housing market. | Video
- U.S. homebuilders are gearing up for a sharp rise in demand this spring as Americans become more confident about keeping their jobs and are encouraged by easing access to credit.
- Ocwen Financial Corp said it would sell an additional $25 billion of servicing rights on agency loans to a subsidiary of Nationstar Mortgage Holdings Inc, its fourth such deal in two months.
- Ocwen Financial Corp rejected allegations of poor mortgage servicing practices and said on Monday that it had sent a letter to trustees of 119 mortgage pools, arguing that it should not be removed as a servicer.
- Lennar Corp reported better-than-expected quarterly profit and revenue as it sold more homes at higher prices, and the company said early signs for the spring selling season indicated demand in the U.S. housing market was improving.
Applications for U.S. home mortgages fell last week as both purchase and refinancing applications decreased, an industry group said on Wednesday.
WASHINGTON - U.S. housing finance companies Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac could require more bailouts from U.S. taxpayers as risks are rising due to shrinking reserves, an internal watchdog for the firms' regulator said on Wednesday.
Business News Headlines
- Wall Street higher as biotechs rally on M&A deals
- UnitedHealth to buy pharmacy benefit firm Catamaran for $12.8 billion |
- Teva to buy U.S. drug developer Auspex Pharma for $3.5 billion
- SEC accuses financier Lynn Tilton of defrauding investors
- McDonald's starts table service in Germany
- Exclusive: Morgan Stanley to sell natural gas business scrutinized by Fed
- With blog, Bernanke has new platform to make old argument
- U.S. consumer spending tepid; savings at two-year high
- Oil down as Iran races for Tuesday deadline on nuclear deal
- Reuters Poll: Oil prices to stabilize as demand rises