Annualized U.S. single-family home prices rose in September at a faster pace than in August and above market expectations, a closely watched survey showed on Tuesday.
WASHINGTON U.S. home resales fell in October as a persistent shortage of properties limited choice for potential buyers and pushed up prices, suggesting some softening in the pace of the housing market recovery after strong gains early this year.
WASHINGTON U.S. housing starts in October fell to a seven-month low, weighed down by a steep decline in the construction of multi-family homes, but a surge in building permits suggested the housing market remained on solid ground.
If the pace of growth in commercial real estate and risk-taking in some corporate loans continue unabated, they could become arguments for slightly faster interest-rate increases, Boston Fed President Eric Rosengren said in an interview with the Financial Times published on Sunday.
Wells Fargo & Co will pay $81.6 million to homeowners for denying them a chance to challenge mortgage payment increases imposed during their bankruptcy proceedings, the U.S. Justice Department said on Thursday.
SEATTLE Seattle Mayor Ed Murray signed an ordinance into law on Tuesday he says will add 6,000 living units for low-income residents over the next decade to be paid for by fees on private developers.
SAN FRANCISCO San Francisco voters were poised on Tuesday to defeat a controversial ballot measure to curb short-term home and apartment rentals, handing a victory to companies such as Airbnb, early results showed.
WASHINGTON Banks lowered lending standards for U.S. mortgages in the third quarter and a modest share of them made it easier for households to get credit card and auto loans, according to a survey of loan officers released on Monday by the Federal Reserve.
WASHINGTON Contracts to buy previously owned U.S. homes fell unexpectedly in September, a warning sign that the housing market recovery may be stumbling.
U.S. single-family home prices rose in August at a slightly faster pace than in July and in line with expectations, a closely watched survey said on Tuesday.
Business News Headlines
- U.S. store sales down slightly for Thanksgiving and Black Friday
- Holiday shopping unlikely to cheer many investors
- Murdoch: Tribune papers likely to be sold, LA Times split off
- Exclusive: Lazard works with Sanofi on $12.7 billion animal health unit deal - sources
- HSBC whistleblower Falciani sentenced to five years in prison
- Musk's Tesla faces German battle over battery-powered homes
- Halliburton refiles bid for EU approval of $35 billion Baker Hughes buy
- Class action suit against Barclays alleges forex rigging losses
- EU wants to give national privacy regulators more clout in new U.S. data pact
- Wall St ends flat; Disney, retailers dip on sales worries |