NEW YORK - Applications for U.S. home mortgages fell last week as mortgage rates edged higher, data from an industry group showed on Wednesday.
- Detroit homeowners will see a slight dip in their property taxes due by Aug. 31, the mayor's office said on Wednesday, noting the city's plan to recover from bankruptcy already accounts for a drop in the tax collections this year.
WASHINGTON - The top U.S. housing regulator on Tuesday said his agency would make a decision by the end of this quarter on fees Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac charge lenders for guaranteeing mortgages.
WASHINGTON - Sales of new U.S. single-family homes jumped in December, unwinding the prior month's decline, but the overall trend remained consistent with a gradual housing market improvement.
- Mortgage servicer Ocwen Financial Group said on Monday a group of investors had no basis for claiming it failed to live up to its agreements to collect payments on $82 billion worth of home loans.
- D.R. Horton Inc , the largest U.S. homebuilder by number of homes sold, reported a higher-than-expected 37 percent jump in quarterly revenue as it delivered more homes.
WASHINGTON - A top U.S. Republican lawmaker will revisit a plan to reduce government involvement in the country's housing finance system, and expects Senate colleagues to be receptive to potential changes, according to an interview aired on C-SPAN on Sunday.
NEW YORK - Joe and Debbie Valerio, a couple in their 60s, put their Westport, Connecticut, home of more than 20 years on the market because it was getting too big for them.
- U.S. construction materials suppliers that have a sizeable exposure to European housing markets are expected to report slower revenue growth this year than their domestic peers due to cooling housing demand on the continent and a stronger dollar.
WASHINGTON - Groundbreaking for U.S. single-family homes raced to the highest level in more than 6-1/2 years in December and permits surged, in a hopeful sign for the sluggish housing market recovery.
Business News Headlines
- Asian shares tripped up by surprisingly bullish Fed
- Fed upbeat on U.S. economy, cites strong job gains |
- Facebook tops Wall Street revenue target in fourth quarter
- U.S. Air Force awards $383 million launch deal to Boeing, Lockheed venture
- Qualcomm says key customer passed on new chip, stock drops
- Oil near six-year lows after U.S. stockpiles hit record high
- IMF sets June deadline for progress on governance reforms
- Samsung Electronics fourth-quarter profit meets guidance; outlook cautious
- McDonald's CEO Don Thompson leaving after tumultuous run
- Big banks fail to dismiss U.S. currency rigging lawsuit