WASHINGTON - Stronger job creation in the United States is making economists more optimistic about the outlook for home resales over the next two years, according to a Reuters poll that showed little change to expectations for house price rises.
Aug 27 - Fannie Mae , the largest U.S. home funding source, said on Wednesday it sold $500 million of benchmark bills at lower interest rates compared with last week's sale of similar maturities.
- Goldman Sachs Group Inc has agreed to a settlement worth $1.2 billion to resolve a U.S. regulator's claims the bank sold Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac faulty mortgage bonds, the regulator announced Friday.
WASHINGTON - Bank of America Corp is expected to pay more than $16.5 billion to end investigations into mortgage securities that the bank and its units sold in the run-up to the financial crisis, in a deal that could be announced as early as Thursday, a person familiar with the matter said.
NEW YORK - Applications for U.S. home mortgages rose last week as demand for refinancing increased, an industry group said on Wednesday. | Video
WASHINGTON - U.S. housing starts surged to an eight-month high in July, suggesting the nation's housing market recovery was back on track after stalling in the second half of last year. | Video
- The Architecture Billings Index, considered a leading indicator of U.S. non-residential construction, rose in July to a seven-year high, the American Institute of Architects said on Wednesday. | Video
NEW YORK - U.S. homebuilding stocks rose on Monday, boosted by data that showed homebuilder sentiment rose in August to its highest level since January.
- Pershing Square Capital Management LP, the hedge fund firm run by William Ackman, has sued the U.S. government, claiming that its stripping of Fannie Mae's and Freddie Mac's profit illegally short changes investors in the mortgage companies' common stock.
WASHINGTON - Government-controlled mortgage finance firms Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac made enough money in the second quarter to give taxpayers $5.6 billion in dividends, a sign they can turn substantial profits even in a lackluster housing market.
Business News Headlines
- Asian shares slump as Ukraine tensions flare
- Malaysia Airlines to cut 6,000 jobs, de-list in $1.9 billion restructuring
- Exclusive: Morgan Stanley plans natural gas export plant in new commodities foray
- Fiat says exit rights exercise won't jeopardize Chrysler merger
- China funds cut suggested equity allocations as hopes for recovery evaporate: Reuters poll
- Germanwings pilots start strike as Lufthansa row rumbles on
- China's Wanda, Tencent, Baidu to set up $814 million e-commerce company
- U.S. banking group says unaware of any 'significant' cyber attack |
- Japan household spending slumps, output flat as tax pain persists |
- Bank of America seeks to void verdict in $1.27 billion 'Hustle' case