Jan 21, 2011 - Officials in North and South Korea agree to high level military talks as early as next month.
▲ Hide Transcript
▶ View Transcript
EDIT CONTAINS 4:3 MATERIAL
North Korean state TV said Friday they sent a letter to the South asking for high-level talks as early as next month...
The South confirmed they received the letter and agree to come to the table... in part because the North said it was open to discussing both the Cheonan torpedoing incident and the Yonpyeong shelling incident.
(SOUNDBITE) (Korean) SOUTH KOREA'S UNIFICATION MINISTRY SPOKESMAN CHUN HAE-SUNG SAYING:
"Regarding yesterday's proposal for talks by North Korea, We decided to attend the North-South high-level military talks to urge the North to acknowledge its responsibility over the Cheonan torpedoing and the Yeonpyeong shelling attack and to make a definite promise not to make more provocations."
In April last year, 46 South Korean sailors were killed when a torpedo sunk their Cheonan naval ship... An incident that the South blames on the North.
And in November, four South Koreans were killed from artillery shells fired by the North on the South's Yeonpyong island.
The international community has continued to put pressure on China, the North's only ally, to reign in their neighbor's contentious behaviour.
Chinese President Hu Jintao and U.S. President Barack Obama discussed the matter during meetings this week in Washington.
If the talks happen, they could mean renewed aid-for-disarmament negotiations between the two nations.
Julie Noce, Reuters
Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code