Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

Video

Syrian rebel commander claims government troops ordered to target journalists

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 01:07

Sep. 4 - The commander of a Syrian opposition militia group claims president Bashar al-Assad's regime has deliberately killed foreign journalists. Sarah Sheffer reports.

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

A commander of a Syrian opposition militia group says that the regime of President Bashar al-Assad instructed its forces to kill foreign journalists. Addressing a news conference in Istanbul, the commander of Al Tawheed brigade said they had captured a soldier who confessed he was among those responsible for killing Mika Yamomoto, a Japanese foreign journalist, in Aleppo city last month. He said the soldier claimed troops were asked to kidnap journalists and kill them. Meanwhile on Tuesday, rebels said they were close to taking control of the border town of Harim, northwest of Idlib. Amateur video obtained by Reuters showed rebel fighters preparing weapons and exchanging heavy gunfire with forces loyal to Assad. In the video a military helicopter could be seen flying over the town. Rebels said they had government forces surrounded and the town was within their grasp.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

Syrian rebel commander claims government troops ordered to target journalists

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 01:07