Jan. 15 - The worst fires in decades are still raging across New South Wales, with the largest blaze near Coonabarabran destroying 100,000 acres of bushland and dozens of homes. Lindsey Parietti reports.
▲ Hide Transcript
▶ View Transcript
The scorched earth and destroyed properties left in the wake of Australia's bushfires.
The blazes have consumed hundreds of thousands of acres in the southeast alone.
More than 100 fires are still burning in New South Wales, with an estimated 25 out of control.
A local mayor said the flames have killed everything in their path.
(SOUNDBITE) (English) WARRUMBUNGLE SHIRE COUNCIL MAYOR, PETER SHINTON, SAYING:
"Everywhere we went yesterday, we're inside the fire, everything is dead and gone, but... And that's what struck me yesterday, no sound, you know, like, there is no birds, there's no nothing, you know, like, everything is just dead."
Extremely dry and hot conditions as well as lightning have aided the spread of the blazes.
Officials said cooler temperatures expected this week could help, but the worst may not be over.
(SOUNDBITE) (English) NEW SOUTH WALES DEPUTY PREMIER,ANDREW STONER, SAYING:
"We're told that the weather forecasts are for a cooler change to again come through after Friday, possibly sometime Friday evening or Saturday. So, look, the critical days are ahead, but so far is to say, there's no room for complacency, it ain't over yet."
Fire services anticipate it will take days to get the bushfires under control.
Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code