More bodies emerge from Bangladesh building collapse
Friday, May 03, 2013 - 01:24
Families search for the bodies of loved ones as the death toll in last week's Bangladesh factory collapse rises above 500. Canadian retailer Loblaw vows to continue sourcing from Bangladeshi factories while pushing for better building codes. Lindsey Parietti reports.
▲ Hide Transcript
▶ View Transcript
Another body pulled from the wreckage of a Bangladesh garment factory. The death toll has risen above 500 since the eight-story building collapsed last week. Many families are still awaiting word of their loved ones as soldiers and volunteers probe the rubble with heavy machinery. Holding her granddaughter, this woman says she has heard nothing of the girl's mother, who recently took a job on the factory's fourth floor. The incident has put the spotlight on the many Western clothing retailers who use Bangladesh for cheap manufacturing. Canadian retailer Loblaw, owner of the Joe Fresh discount clothing chain, said it would continue to source from Bangladeshi factories while pursuing better building codes. (SOUNDBITE) (English) GALEN WESTON, EXECUTIVE CHAIRMAN OF LOBLAW, SAYING: "This was a senseless tragedy. It should not have happened. Based on what we know, the top floors of the building should never have been built and reports from the ground suggest that garment workers should never have been allowed back in the building after an evacuation was ordered." The company also announced a relief fund for victims' families. Bangladesh police have detained nine people, including an engineer who warned the building was unsafe the day before the accident, when cracks appeared in concrete pillars.
Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code