Reuters - Video

Edition: U.S. | U.K. | IN | CN | JP

World News

Manila seeks Golan Heights peacekeeper pullout after abductions

Friday, May 10, 2013 - 01:28

May 10 - The Philippines looks to withdraw the country's peacekeepers from the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, after the abduction of four Filipinos near the Syrian border. Tom Dinham reports.

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

The Philippines says it wants to withdraw nearly 350 of its soldiers from peacekeeping duties in the Golan Heights. Foreign Minister Albert del Rosario made the announcement on Friday after four of the country's peacekeepers were abducted near the Syrian border. (SOUNDBITE) (English) PHILIPPINES FOREIGN AFFAIRS SECRETARY ALBERT DEL ROSARIO SAYING: "We have served with dedication the peacekeeping duties in that area but as I said, because of the change in circumstances, it's possible, highly possible, that our recommendation would encompass an early pullout of our people." Del Rosario said he believed the four were being held by Syrian rebels as human shields, to prevent attacks by government forces. Video uploaded to a social media website purports to show Syrian rebel forces moving into the Golan Heights last week. Reuters cannot independently verify the content of these videos. The UN has relocated peacekeepers away from some observation posts in the area. The U.N. Disengagement Observer Force, which has been monitoring a ceasefire between Israel and Syria since 1974, has about 1,000 peacekeepers and civilian staff from Austria, Croatia, India, Moldova, Morocco and the Philippines.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

Manila seeks Golan Heights peacekeeper pullout after abductions

Friday, May 10, 2013 - 01:28