Reuters - Video

Edition: U.S. | U.K. | IN | CN

World News

Review after Indonesia mine deaths

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 01:05

May 22 - Safety review underway at a mine in Indonesia after a tunnel collapse now known to have killed at least 28 people. Paul Chapman reports.

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

Twenty-eight people are now said to have died after a training tunnel collapsed at the world's second-largest copper mine a week ago. The death toll includes seven still missing at the Grasberg mine in Indonesia. Rescue teams have given up hope of finding any more survivors. The tunnel was away from the main site. Operator Freeport McMoRan Copper and Gold says it's reviewing underground safety at all its mines. (SOUNDBITE) (English) CEO FREEPORT MC MORAN COPPER AND GOLD INC RICHARD ADKERSON SAYING: "We are undertaking a review of all underground activities right now. It is our responsibility, there will be an independent review and we will cooperate with it," Operations have been suspended at the Grasberg mine which normally produces about 220, 000 tonnes of concentrated ore a day. So far global supplies haven't been hit because Grasberg keeps large stockpiles in case of disruption. Mining in Indonesia has a poor safety record but industry officials say the tunnel collapse is one of the sector's worst-ever accidents.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

Review after Indonesia mine deaths

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 01:05