Gandolfini TV pilot not likely to air, "Sharknado" is back
Friday, July 26, 2013 - 01:33
July 26 - The latest celebrity and entertainment headlines including Gandolfini's new TV show unlikely to air, another Pussy Riot member loses appeal and ''Sharknado'' is back. Lindsay Claiborn reports.
▲ Hide Transcript
▶ View Transcript
James Gandolfini's final TV appearance is unlikely to be screened, according to HBO. The 51-year-old star of "The Sopranos," who died of a heart attack in June, had filmed the pilot for "Criminal Justice." The network's programming president said he could not imagine the show airing because Gandolfini would not be able to continue with the drama. "Criminal Justice," an adaptation of the 2008 BBC series, saw Gandolfini playing a New York lawyer. Gandolfini had also finished two films before he died, one is the romantic comedy "Enough Said," which will premiere at the Toronto Film Festival in September.
A Russian judge on Friday (July 26) denied an appeal for parole to Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, a member of Russian female punk group Pussy Riot. At the hearing, the 23 year old asked the court to overturn a previous decision to grant her parole so she can look after her young daughter. Tolokonnikova has been serving a two-year prison sentence for the band's performance of a "punk prayer" against President Vladimir Putin in Moscow's main Russian Orthodox cathedral. Another Pussy Riot band member lost her appeal for parole earlier in the week.
In case you missed the social media storm kicked up by SyFy channel's "Sharknado," don't worry. You'll get another chance to watch the gory B-movie, this time in theaters. Movie theater chain Regal Cinemas has announced it will host a midnight screening of "Sharknado" across the country in August. And if that's not enough to satisfy the need for flying sharks, a sequel in which the Sharknado invades New York City is already slated to air on SyFy in 2014.
Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code