Aug. 7 - Executives at New Zealand dairy company Fonterra say a botulism scare was caused by human error. Julie Noce reports.
▲ Hide Transcript
▶ View Transcript
New Zealand dairy giant Fonterra said the contamination scare in some of it's exported products was the result of human error and that all of the goods in question have been taken off the market.
CEO Theo Spierings.
(SOUNDBITE)(English) THEO SPIERINGS, FONTERRA CEO, SAYING:
"Fonterra has taken the responsibility in the last four to five days. Fonterra will investigate why it happened. Fonterra will keep everybody in the loop and informed - like I just said -- of our findings and we do hope that we have created more clarity here today and that this clear information will reach the public because that will determine the reputation of New Zealand and Fonterra."
Over the weekend, the company said some of it's whey protein products contained a bacteria that can cause botulism.
The contaminated products had been sold to China, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand and Saudi Arabia and was used in products including infant milk powder and sports drinks.
No illnesses have been reported due to the contamination.
Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code