Former Nazi guard on trial for resistance fighter murder
Monday, September 02, 2013 - 01:06
Sept. 2 - A 92-year-old who served in the Waffen-SS, Adolf Hitler’s elite Nazi troops, goes on trial in Germany charged with having killed a Dutch resistance fighter at the end of World War Two. Sunita Rappai reports.
▲ Hide Transcript
▶ View Transcript
The man at the centre of a media storm - a 92-year-old former member of Adolf Hitler's elite Waffen-SS goes on trial in Germany for murder.
Siert Bruins is accused of killing a Dutch resistance fighter during World War Two.
He has said previously that he was present at the murder of the man but says another soldier, now dead, shot him.
Bruin's lawyer said he thought the trial was was too late and questioned the wisdom of dragging a 92-year-old in front of a court again.
But a court spokesman said the former Nazi guard was fit for trial, although in a limited way, and had made it clear that he would speak out at a later stage.
The Hagen court already sentenced the Dutch-born accused to seven years in jail in 1980 for being an accessory to the murder of two Jewish brothers in 1945.
Germany has a patchy record of bringing its Nazi war criminals to justice but in the last few years some prosecutors have actively sought out some of the last survivors.
Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code