Three dead, others wounded in U.S. consulate attack
Friday, September 13, 2013 - 00:42
Sept. 13 - At least three people are dead and others wounded after an attack on the U.S. consulate in western Afghanistan. Julie Noce reports.
▲ Hide Transcript
▶ View Transcript
At least three people are dead after a group of Taliban insurgents attacked the U.S. consulate in the western Afghan city of Herat.
It happened early Friday morning when a truck carrying insurgents drove to the front gate of the consulate and began attacking guards. The truck later exploded.
A suicide bomber targeted the consulate, this resident said. We don't know what happened inside.
Officials said two police and a security guard had been killed, 17 others had been wounded and were being treated at nearby hospitals.
U.S. officials say none of the consulate staff were injured.
The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code