'Miracle' no fatalities in Chicago shooting: police superintendent
Friday, September 20, 2013 - 01:07
Sept. 20 - Police say 13 people wounded, including a three-year-old, in an apparent gang-related shooting spree on Chicago's South Side. Rough Cut. (no reporter narration).
▲ Hide Transcript
▶ View Transcript
ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION)
STORY: Chicago police Superintendent Garry F. McCarthy says it's a "miracle" there were no fatalities in a shooting that injured 13, including a three year old boy Thursday night.
During a news conference Friday, McCarthy told reporters changes need to be made to gun laws.
"What is needed in Chicago and in cities across this country is real action on reasonable gun laws on the state and federal level," he said.
"We need to keep illegal guns and military-style weapons out of our communities."
Chicago has been struggling with gun violence for years, putting pressure for change on Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
Police believe the shootings were gang related. No arrests have been made so far.
According to witnesses, gunfire rang out late Thursday as gunmen sprayed a basketball court with bullets in a park in the city's Ninth District.
Other witnesses said the gunmen drove up and fired on the basketball court from their vehicle.
Mayor Emanuel canceled two meetings in Washington and headed back to Chicago after being notified about the shootings, his press office said.
Police said that besides three-year-old Deonta Howard, those injured range in age from 15 to 41.
As of Friday morning, three of the gunshot victims, including Howard, were in serious to critical condition in area hospitals.
Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code