Reuters - Video

Edition: U.S. | U.K. | IN | CN

Environment

Indonesians flee active Mount Sinabung volcano

Monday, November 25, 2013 - 01:15

Nov. 25 - Indonesians move to temporary shelters provided by the local government, as the emergency alert for Mount Sinabung remains at its highest level. Jillian Kitchener reports.

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

The Mount Sinabung volcano in western Indonesia erupted six times on Monday, and the government's alert status remained at its highest level. During the 6th eruption, a 1500 meter column of ash tumbled down the mountain. Head of the Sinabung Observation Post, Armen Putra: (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) HEAD OF SINABUNG OBSERVATION POST ARMEN PUTRA SAYING: "We have recommended the public have limited activities within a five-kilometer radius, except for four villages that are located on the outer zone but in front of Sinabung crater openings, they must leave. And we have also appealed to villagers not to panic if an eruption occurs spewing volcanic ash." Panicked villagers fled their homes, and sought refuge either with relatives or at temporary shelters provided by the government. Head of the Sinabung evacuation in the field, Prince Meter Putong, said his team would continue logging the number of villagers leaving their homes. (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) FIELD OFFICER FOR EVACUATION OF SINABUNG, PRINCE MEYER PUTONG SAYING: "So far we have recorded 11,618 people in the shelter and I believe the number will increase along with increased volcano activity..." Many villagers outside of the radius are staying put, but said they will leave if they feel unsafe.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

Indonesians flee active Mount Sinabung volcano

Monday, November 25, 2013 - 01:15