Accident at Brazil World Cup stadium kills at least two
Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 00:48
Nov. 27 - At least two are killed after crane collapses at construction site of Sao Paulo's World Cup stadium, but operational manager says structure still sound. Deborah Lutterbeck reports.
▲ Hide Transcript
▶ View Transcript
At least two workers are killed in Brazil when a crane collapsed at the stadium slated to host the opening match of next year's World Cup.
Construction workers had been racing to finish the stadium in Sao Paulo before a December deadline imposed by world soccer body FIFA.
The manager of the site says the structure is still sound.
(SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) OPERATIONAL MANAGER AT THE SITE FOR THE ODEBRECHT CONSTRUCTION COMPANY, FREDERICO BARBOSA, SAYING:
"The structure was not compromised. There was damage to part of the building, but nothing that compromises the security or stability of the structure itself. "
The company building the stadium says it plans to restart work Monday, but the union representing the workers says construction could be frozen for up to 30 days while authorities investigate the incident.
Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code