Reuters - Video

Edition: U.S. | U.K. | IN | CN

Rough Cuts

U.N.'s Ban withdraws Iran's invite to Syria peace talks

Monday, January 20, 2014 - 01:00

Jan. 20 - The spokesman for United Nations Secretary-General ban Ki-moon says Iran is no longer invited to participate in Syria peace talks scheduled to begin on Wednesday. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Monday withdrew an offer for Iran to attend Syria peace negotiations after Tehran declared it does not support the June 2012 political transition deal that is the basis for the talks. "He (Ban) continues to urge Iran to join the global consensus behind the Geneva communiqué," Ban's spokesman Martin Nesirky said. "Given that it has chosen to remain outside that basic understanding, (Ban) has decided that the one-day Montreux gathering will proceed without Iran's participation." Ban said earlier that Iran's public statement that it did not support the 2012 Geneva deal calling for a transitional government for Syria was "not consistent" with assurances he had been given by Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

U.N.'s Ban withdraws Iran's invite to Syria peace talks

Monday, January 20, 2014 - 01:00