Reuters - Video

Edition: U.S. | U.K. | IN | CN | JP

Top News

Search resumes for missing plane

Monday, March 31, 2014 - 00:52

Apr. 1 - Chinese and U.S. search planes take off again to join the international hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines flight. Rough cut (no reporter narration)

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

ROUGH CUT - NO REPORTER NARRATION Chinese and U.S. military aircraft departed from Perth airport on Tuesday (April 1) to resume the search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370. China's Ilyushin IL-76 and a U.S. Navy P8 Poseidon joined eight other aircraft and nine ships as they scoured a large area in the Indian Ocean some 2,000 km (1,200 miles) west of Perth, where investigators believe the Boeing 777 carrying 239 passengers and crew came down. Dozens of items have been spotted since Australian authorities moved the search 1,100 km (685 miles) north after new analysis of radar and satellite data, but none has been linked to the Malaysian flight. Some families have strongly criticised Malaysia's handling of the search and investigation, including the decision last week to say that, based on satellite evidence, the plane had crashed in the southern Indian Ocean on March 8. Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak will travel to the western Australian city of Perth, the base for the search, on Wednesday (April 2) to see the operations first hand, Malaysia's government said. Malaysia says the plane, which disappeared less than an hour into a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, was probably diverted deliberately far off course. Who might be responsible and the motive are still a mystery.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

Search resumes for missing plane

Monday, March 31, 2014 - 00:52