Fort Hood Commanding officer: "shooter dead" from self-inflicted wounds
Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 01:33
April 2 - The Fort Hood Commanding officer said the shooter is dead from self-inflicted wounds and that three others were killed. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).
▲ Hide Transcript
▶ View Transcript
ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION).
Lieutenant General Mark A. Milley told a news conference that the Fort Hood shooter dead was dead from self-inflicted wounds and that three others were killed in the shooting.
He said at least 16 people were injured. He said there was no indication that the incident was linked to terrorism.
After the shooting, the third such incident at a military base in the United States in about six months, Fort Hood was put on lockdown and police were securing its perimeter, military officials said. Helicopters could be seen circling the base in live TV footage broadcast from the scene.
Central Texas College, which has a Fort Hood campus, ordered an immediate evacuation of all students and staff, and canceled classes.
In 2009, a former Army psychiatrist shot dead 13 people and wounded 32 others in a shooting spree at Fort Hood.
Major Nidal Hasan shouted "Allahu Akbar," or "God is greatest" in Arabic, during the attack and later said he wanted to be a martyr. He was convicted and faces death by lethal injection
In September, a gunman opened fire at the Washington Navy Yard, killing 12 and wounding four before being slain by police. Last month, a civilian shot dead a sailor aboard a ship at a U.S. Navy base in Norfolk, Virginia.
Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code