Brother, sister, both four, die in Easter morning New York house fire
Monday, April 21, 2014 - 00:43
April 21 - A house fire that left two young children dead early Easter Sunday in New York City was sparked accidentally, possibly by a child playing with a lighter or matches. Vanessa Johnston reports.
▲ Hide Transcript
▶ View Transcript
Two children are dead after a house caught fire on Easter Sunday morning.
Emergency officials say the accident may have been caused by a child playing with a lighter or matches.
SOUNDBITE (English) FRIEND OF THE FAMILY, BARBARA SMITH, SAYING:
"I was shocked. Shocked and frightened. Because it could happen to anyone."
The 4-year-old half siblings - a boy and a girl - were at their grandfather's home in Queens, New York.
SOUNDBITE (English) NEIGHBOR RAUL FLORES SAYING:
"He said 'two children died.' And I almost collapsed. I had no clue. I just found out now. I'm speechless. I just didn't know."
Four people were also injured in the blaze.
Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code