Reuters - Video

EDITION: U.S. | U.K. | IN

Video

File photograph of one of the two detained U.S. citizens in North Korea

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 - 00:15

June.30 - Still photograph of U.S. citizen Jeffrey Fowle, one of two tourists North Korea says they will put on trial for committing crimes against the isolated state. Rough Cut. (No Reporter Narration).

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) STORY: North Korea said on Monday (June 30) it would put two U.S. tourists on trial for committing crimes against the state, dimming any hopes among their families that they would soon be released. Jeffrey Fowle, a 56-year-old street repairs worker from Miamisburg, Ohio, was arrested after entering North Korea as a tourist in late April. He is pictured in this photograph. Matthew Miller, 24, was also taken into custody by North Korean officials after entering the country in the same month, ripping up his tourist visa and demanding asylum, state media said. Another U.S. national, Kenneth Bae, a Christian missionary who had been arrested in November 2012, was convicted and sentenced to 15 years hard labour last year. Pyongyang has detained a number of U.S. citizens in the past, using them to extract visits by high-profile figures, including former U.S. President Bill Clinton. However, it has twice cancelled visits by Robert King, the U.S. special envoy for North Korean human rights issues, to discuss Bae's case. In May, the U.S. State Department issued an advisory urging Americans not to travel to North Korea because of the "risk of arbitrary arrest and detention" even while holding valid visas.

File photograph of one of the two detained U.S. citizens in North Korea

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 - 00:15

Top News »

The Exchange »

Moving Pictures »