Reuters - Video

EDITION: U.S. | U.K. | IN

Top News

Deadly Massachusetts apartment fire caused by electrical issue

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 - 01:21

The state fire marshal says the apartment fire that killed seven people in Lowell, Massachusetts was accidental. Linda So reports.

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

It was the deadliest fire in Massachusetts in the past two decades. Officials now say last week's apartment fire in Lowell was accidental, caused by an electrical issue. SOUNDBITE: STATE FIRE MARSHAL STEPHEN COAN, SAYING: "This was an electrical fire that began inside a concealed void space that existed between the second and third floor. This space ran the entire length of the building without any fire stops." Seven people were killed in the fire when flames ripped through the three-story apartment building. Some were forced to jump to safety. Fire investigators say there was no history of code violations under the current owner and that the fire alarm system was working. SOUNDBITE: STATE FIRE MARSHAL STEPHEN COAN, SAYING: "We believe as fire took hold of this building, it disabled the fire alarm system early on that is why first arriving firefighters did not hear any alarms." Several witnesses reported hearing fireworks going off inside the building, but officials say they did not cause the fire. SOUNDBITE: STATE FIRE MARSHAL STEPHEN COAN, SAYING: "Our investigation confirms there were fireworks present in the building and that they detonated at some point during the fire. However fireworks did not play a role in the ignition of fire." Officials say the deadly blaze should serve as a reminder to react quickly when a fire alarm goes off because seconds matter.

Deadly Massachusetts apartment fire caused by electrical issue

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 - 01:21

Top News »

The Exchange »

Moving Pictures »