Fighting resumes as Israel declares Gaza truce over
Friday, August 01, 2014 - 01:25
Israel has declared the Gaza ceasefire over, blaming Hamas for breaching the truce shortly after it began. Jillian Kitchener reports.
▲ Hide Transcript
▶ View Transcript
A neighborhood in ruins, as residents search desperately for their belongings in the rubble of their flattened homes.
For them, the ceasefire was meaningless.
Almost as soon as it was declared, the so-called 72 hour ceasefire was over... and the fighting had resumed with Isreali troops an Hamas fighters trading blows as fiercely as ever.
Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev says Hamas was the first to break the peace.
(SOUNDBITE) (English) ISRAELI GOVERNMENT SPOKESPERSON MARK REGEV, SAYING:
"Unfortunately at 09:30, barely one and half hours after the start of the cease-fire, Hamas forces opened fire at our forces in direct violation of the cease-fire, deadly fire, it appears an Israeli soldier has also been kidnapped. Our forces returned fire."
The Gaza Health Ministry says at least 50 Palestinians were killed, and 220 wounded in the renewed shelling.
...Many caught in the crossfire as they emerged from shelters during what they thought was a truce.
(SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) GAZA RESIDENT MOHAMMED HAMDAN SAYING:
"We were called and told that there was a truce at 8 in the morning. So we went home and as we were sorting out our things, they started striking our homes, they struck all the houses."
After more than three weeks of fighting there appears to be little willingness on either side to pursue lasting peace.
The attempt at a 72-hour break was the most ambitious so far, but has proven fruitless.
Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code