People in Toledo, Ohio have been told not to drink their tap water after dangerously high levels of toxins were detected. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).
▲ Hide Transcript
▶ View Transcript
ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION)
Officials in Toledo, Ohio, warned residents of the city and surrounding areas on Saturday not to drink their tap water or try to boil it for purification after samples found dangerously high levels of toxins from an algal bloom.
"Lake Erie, which is a source of drinking water for the Toledo water system, may have been impacted by a harmful algal bloom," said a statement from the city, which is the fourth-largest in Ohio.
City officials warned that boiling the tap water will not destroy the toxic microcystins, which have shown up in two sample readings in excess of the standard of 1 microgram per liter, according to the statement.
Drinking the contaminated water could affect the liver and cause diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, numbness or dizziness, officials said. They told people to seek medical help if they feel they have been exposed to the toxins.
The water also should not be given to pets, officials said.
Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code