Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

Top News

Utah woman critical after drinking restaurant's tainted tea

Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 00:42

A Utah woman suffered burns to her mouth and esophagus after drinking tea laced with a lye-based cleaning solvent at a local restaurant. Linda So reports.

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

A woman is in critical condition after drinking tainted tea at this Utah restaurant. Police say it happened at Dickey's Barbecue Pit when 67-year-old Jan Harding and her husband went to there after church for lunch. SOUNDBITE: SAM WINKLER, SOUTH JORDAN POLICE DEPARTMENT, SAYING: "She had poured herself some sweet tea. When she had taken a sip of the tea, it instantly began to burn her mouth. She did not swallow any of it, and spit it out. It was burning so intensely that's why they brought her to the hospital." Harding suffered burns to her mouth and esophagus. Turns out the tea was laced with a powerful lye-based cleaning solvent. SOUNDBITE: PAXTON GUYMON, VICTIM'S ATTORNEY, SAYING: "It's a substance called clean force fryer cleaner." A preliminary investigation indicates an employee may have mistaken the highly toxic substance for sugar.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

Utah woman critical after drinking restaurant's tainted tea

Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 00:42