Gazans recover what they can from wrecked apartment block
Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 00:36
Residents of 13-storey apartment tower destroyed by Israeli airstrike search for their belongings between the rubble. Rough Cut. (No Reporter Narration)
▲ Hide Transcript
▶ View Transcript
ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION).
STORY: Israel launched more air strikes on Gaza on Sunday (August 24) after taking its military campaign to a new level by flattening a 13-storey apartment tower following a warning to residents to leave the area.
An Israeli military spokeswoman said the building, which collapsed completely, had been used as a command centre by Hamas militants. Local residents said the building housed 44 families.
Residents of the tower were searching between the rubble to find their belongings while fire-fighter and bulldozer were working at the scene.
The Israeli military said that it had fired a non-explosive warning rocket on Saturday, 10 minutes before attacking.
Palestinian medical officials said 17 people were wounded in the Israeli strike.
Palestinian militants kept up their cross-border rocket fire in what has become a conflict of attrition that has defied attempts by regional power Egypt to broker a durable truce in fighting now in its seventh week.
Palestinian health officials say 2,085 people, most of them civilians and more than 400 of them children, have been killed in the Gaza Strip since July 8, when Israel launched an offensive with the declared aim of ending Palestinian rocket fire into its territory.
Sixty-four Israeli soldiers and four civilians in Israel have been killed.
Hamas has said it will not stop fighting until the Israeli-Egyptian blockade on Gaza is lifted. Both Israel and Egypt view Hamas as a security threat and are reluctant to make sweeping concessions without guarantees weapons will not enter the economically crippled enclave.
Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code