Theo Curtis' ransom not paid by U.S. -State Department
Monday, August 25, 2014 - 00:58
The U.S. State Department says the release of American writer, Theo Curtis, from Syria was based on humanitarian grounds and was in no way paid for by the U.S. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).
▲ Hide Transcript
▶ View Transcript
ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION)
The U.S. State Department made clear on Monday (August 25) that no ransom was paid by the United States for freed American journalist, Peter Theo Curtis.
State Department Spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Curtis was released on humanitarian grounds and was in no way paid for by the U.S.
"We don't make concessions to terrorist organizations, including paying ransom," said Psaki. "We also don't support any third parties paying ransom and did not do so in this case. We're unequivocal in our opposition to paying ransom to terrorists."
Al Qaeda-linked militants in Syria on Sunday freed an American writer missing since 2012, following what officials said were efforts by the Gulf Arab state of Qatar to win his release.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said in a statement that Peter Theo Curtis had been held by Nusra Front, al Qaeda's official wing in Syria whose rivalry with Islamic State has fueled war among the insurgents themselves.
News of Curtis' release emerged just days after the militant group Islamic State posted a video on the Internet showing one of its fighters beheading American journalist James Foley, who was kidnapped in Syria in 2012.
A senior U.N. official said the negotiations for Curtis' release were handled by the Qataris.
Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code