Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

video Top News

Woman who drank restaurant's tainted tea hopes for industry change

Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 00:49

The woman who suffered critical burns after drinking sweet tea laced with a toxic cleaning solution at a Utah restaurant is speaking out about the ordeal for the first time. Linda So reports.

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

Jan Harding is speaking out for the first time about the ordeal that changed her life. SOUNDBITE: JAN HARDING, DRANK TAINTED TEA, SAYING: "Immediately my whole mouth was on fire." The Utah woman was critically burned in her mouth and esophagus after taking a sip of sweet tea laced with a toxic cleaning solution at Dickey's BBQ. SOUNDBITE: JAN HARDING, DRANK TAINTED TEA, SAYING: "It was like a fire beyond anything you can imagine. I mean, it was not like drinking hot coffee." Authorities say an employee mistakenly mixed the industrial cleaning solution containing lye into the tea thinking it was sugar. The Hardings hope the incident will bring changes in the restaurant industry to avoid such dangerous mixups. SOUNDBITE: JIM HARDING, HUSBAND, SAYING: "Bottom line, so no one ever has to go through this again." The district attorney's office is expected to decide in the coming week whether criminal charges will be filed.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

Woman who drank restaurant's tainted tea hopes for industry change

Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 00:49