Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

Video

Red Cross convoy attacked in Myanmar

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 00:38

Still photographs show people fleeing violence in Kokang region and wounded Myanmar Red Cross Society volunteers, after unknown attackers fired at their convoy. Rough cut (no reporter narration).

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

ROUGH CUT (NO REPORTER NARRATION) Unknown attackers shot and wounded two people in a convoy of eight vehicles marked with the emblem of the Myanmar Red Cross Society that was attempting to transport civilians displaced by fighting in Laukkai on the Chinese border on Tuesday (February 17), a witness said. Red Cross spokeswoman Shwe Cin Myint said there hadn't been an attack like this before. A government soldier blamed the attack on an ethnic Kokang force called Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army (MNDAA). Fighting broke out on February 9 between the Myanmar army and MNDAA. At least 47 Myanmar soldiers and 26 MNDAA fighters have been killed since then, the state-backed Global New Light of Myanmar newspaper reported, and thousands of civilians have fled, either to other areas in Myanmar or over the border into China. Myanmar President Thein Sein declared a state of emergency in the Kokang region in the east and imposed a three-month period of martial law there in an announcement on state television on Tuesday night. The MNDAA was formerly part of the Communist Party of Burma, a powerful Chinese-backed guerrilla force that fought the Myanmar government before splintering in 1989.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

Red Cross convoy attacked in Myanmar

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 00:38