Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

Video

South Korea's Chung facing FIFA suspension

Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 01:10

South Korean FIFA presidential candidate Chung Mong-joon says he faces suspension from FIFA's Ethics Committee, but denies any wrongdoing. Natasha Howitt reports.

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

Chung Mong-joon - South Korea's FIFA presidential candidate - says he is facing a 15-year suspension by FIFA's Ethics Committee. But the 63-year-old billionaire denies any wrongdoing, and says he's been targeted due to his candidacy. (SOUNDBITE) (English) FIFA PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE CHUNG MONG-JOON SAYING: "Ultimately, I will prevail and will be vindicated. But with the tactics employed by the Ethics Committee and its complete disregard for due process, justice will not be serviced at the Ethics Committee hearing and my candidacy will be jeopardised." Chung says the charges against him stem from his "support" for South Korea's 2022 World Cup bid. Since the FIFA corruption scandal erupted last year, Chung has been vocal critic of incumbent president Sepp Blatter, who is now the focus of a criminal investigation. In August, he formally announced his running for president. From the outset, he voiced fear that Blatter would sabotage his bid, and previously described FIFA's Ethics Committee as Blatter's "hitman". Chung says he will continue vying for FIFA presidency.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

South Korea's Chung facing FIFA suspension

Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 01:10