Reuters - Video

Edition: US | UK | IN | CN | JP

Eurozone

Still photograph of alleged Ansbach bomber released

Monday, July 25, 2016 - 01:24

Amaq News Agency posts a still photograph of alleged Ansbach bomber, SITE Intelligence Group says. Deborah Lutterbeck reports.

▲ Hide Transcript

View Transcript

Signs of normalcy in Ansbach -- as the southern German city copes with the the aftermath of a 27-year-old Syrian man detonating a bomb that wounded more than a dozen people outside a crowded music festival Sunday. Bloodstains are still on the street -- as well as the outline of the Syrian man's body. The SITE Intelligence Group published a photograph of the alleged bomber -- originally posted by Amaq News Agency -- which says Islamic State is claiming responsibility for the bombing. While searching the bomber's room, Nuremberg police found diesel, hydrochloric acid, paint thinner and pebbles - the same materials used in the bomb. Under the media spotlight, the Nuremberg police chief said the influence of Islamic State could be seen on the bomber's computer. A government spokesman said the 27-year-old arrived in Germany two years ago and claimed asylum. He had been in trouble with police repeatedly for drug-taking and other offenses and had faced deportation to Bulgaria. Sources say the incident, after three other recent attacks, will fuel growing public unease about Chancellor Angela Merkel's open-door refugee policy.

Press CTRL+C (Windows), CMD+C (Mac), or long-press the URL below on your mobile device to copy the code

Still photograph of alleged Ansbach bomber released

Monday, July 25, 2016 - 01:24