The family of slain civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. and their supporters, some shouting, “Hey Hey! Ho Ho! Voter suppression has got to go,” marched in Washington on Monday urging passage of a law to protect voters from racial discrimination.
- United StatesTexas synagogue hostages had offered their captor tea
Worshippers invited a stranger into a Texas synagogue when he knocked on their door and offered him tea before he brandished a gun and held them hostage in a 10-hour siege the FBI called a "terrorism-related matter, in which the Jewish community was targeted."
- EnvironmentDistress signal prompts U.N. concern after Tonga volcanic eruption
A distress signal has been detected in an isolated, low-lying group of islands in the Tonga archipelago following Saturday's massive volcanic eruption and tsunami, the United Nations said, prompting particular concern for its inhabitants.
- EnvironmentMagnitude 5.6 quake hits western Afghanistan, killing more than 20
An earthquake rocked western Afghanistan on Monday, killing more than 20 people and destroying hundreds of homes, local authorities said.
- EuropeReturn of the flu: EU faces threat of prolonged 'twindemic'
- European MarketsAnalysis: China's 'zero-COVID' campaign under strain as Omicron surges
- ChinaChinese cities on high COVID-19 alert as Lunar New Year travel season starts; Omicron spreads
- EuropeFrench COVID hospitalisations see biggest jump since Nov 2020
- United States'Upside down again': Omicron surge roils U.S. small businesses
- Asia PacificAustralia PM blames Omicron for testing woes as COVID-19 cases hit downward trend
- United KingdomCOVID review for England could come this week, early next - source