When Tonga's Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai volcano violently erupted, sending shockwaves and tsunami across the Pacific, the blast in the small island nation was so deafening that fleeing families could only wave at their loved ones to run.
- United StatesU.S. Senate Democrats fail in bid to pass voting rights bill
President Joe Biden and congressional Democrats suffered twin legislative defeats late on Wednesday in their push to toughen voting rights protections in the run-up to this November's mid-term elections that will determine control of Congress in 2023.
- United StatesU.S. Supreme Court spurns Trump bid to keep Capitol attack records secret
The U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected former President Donald Trump's request to block the release of White House records sought by the Democratic-led congressional panel investigating last year's deadly attack on the Capitol by a mob of his supporters.
- ChinaChina says it warned away U.S. warship in South China Sea
Chinese forces followed and warned away a U.S. warship which entered waters near the Paracel Islands in the South China Sea, the country's military said on Thursday, in the latest uptick in tensions in the disputed waterway.
- United StatesU.S. to distribute 400 million free N95 masks at CVS, Walgreens in COVID fight
- The Great RebootBetting Omicron has peaked, PM Johnson drops COVID rules in England
- Healthcare & PharmaceuticalsNew Mexico asks National Guard to teach as COVID shuts schools
- Future of HealthStudy casts doubt on reliability of rapid antigen tests in kids; COVID transmission through breastmilk unlikely
- WorldNew Zealand rules out lockdowns as it prepares for Omicron outbreak
- AmericasCoronavirus spreading like never before in Americas, health agency says
- Healthcare & PharmaceuticalsVaccine group Gavi says additional $5.2 bln needed to ensure supply