When Tonga's Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai volcano violently erupted, sending shockwaves and tsunami across the Pacific, the blast in the small island nation was so deafening that fleeing families could only wave at their loved ones to run.
- WorldBlinken arrives in Berlin for Ukraine talks with European allies
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken arrived in Berlin for talks with allies on Thursday in a diplomatic push to defuse tensions with Moscow over Ukraine, a day after warning that Russia could attack its neighbour at "very short notice".
- MarketsMorning Bid: "Moving in" (on stock market bargains)
A look at the day ahead from Sujata Rao.
- ChinaChina says it warned away U.S. warship in South China Sea, U.S. denies
Chinese forces followed and warned away a U.S. warship which entered waters near the Paracel Islands in the South China Sea, the country's military said on Thursday, but the U.S. Navy denied the ship had been warned off.
- United StatesU.S. to distribute 400 million free N95 masks at CVS, Walgreens in COVID fight
- The Great RebootBetting Omicron has peaked, PM Johnson drops COVID rules in England
- Healthcare & PharmaceuticalsNew Mexico asks National Guard to teach as COVID shuts schools
- ChinaBeijing city raises vigilance as local COVID cases tick higher before Olympics
- United StatesFlorida suspends health official who urged staff to get vaccinated
- WorldNew Zealand rules out lockdowns as it prepares for Omicron outbreak
- AmericasCoronavirus spreading like never before in Americas, health agency says