Significant damage was reported along the western coast of Tonga's main island and outer islands on Tuesday following a massive volcanic eruption and tsunami, but a closed airport and downed communications are hampering international relief efforts.
- Asia PacificN.Korea tested tactical guided missiles in fresh sign of evolving arsenal
North Korea fired tactical guided missiles on Monday, state media KCNA said on Tuesday, the latest in a series of recent tests that highlighted its evolving missile programmes amid stalled denuclearisation talks.
- United StatesSnowstorm strands motorists, grounds planes in eastern U.S., Canada
A winter snowstorm creeping up the East Coast of the United States into Canada on Monday was expected to dump more than two feet (60 cm) of snow in some areas, grounding planes and stranding motorists.
- United StatesU.S. appeals court delays legal challenge to Texas abortion law
A U.S. appeals court on Monday handed a defeat to abortion clinics by delaying a legal challenge to a Texas law banning most abortions in that state.
- Asia PacificAustralia suffers deadliest day of pandemic as Omicron drives up hospital cases
- Middle EastIsraeli study shows 4th shot of COVID-19 vaccine less effective on Omicron
- EuropeReturn of the flu: EU faces threat of prolonged 'twindemic'
- EuropePoland has entered a fifth wave of COVID, says minister
- European MarketsAnalysis: China's 'zero-COVID' campaign under strain as Omicron surges
- EuropeFrench COVID hospitalisations see biggest jump since Nov 2020
- ChinaChinese cities on high COVID-19 alert as Lunar New Year travel season starts; Omicron spreads