The week in bank CEO pay packages: Morgan Stanley CEO James Gorman gets a 6% raise to $35 million in total compensation, while JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon gets 9.5% for a total of $34.5 million … British pubs, restaurants and bakery chains are coming after some of the world’s biggest insurers in court … And the U.S. Fed has a white paper out on issuing its own digital currency
Russia will face severe economic sanctions if it installs a puppet regime in Ukraine, a senior UK minister said on Sunday after Britain accused the Kremlin of seeking to install a pro-Russian leader there.
- Middle EastPenny pinching and power cuts; Lebanon's middle class squeezed by crisis
Lebanese school teacher Sara Wissam and her husband were comfortably off before a run on the local currency decimated the value of their salaries and dragged them towards poverty.
- Asia PacificTonga struggles with ash, psychological trauma after eruption and tsunami
Communication with the outside world remained difficult, with few internet services, and outlying islands cut off from phone service.
- United StatesCalifornia wildfire triggers evacuations, closes highway
A 1,500-acre fire near the coastal community of Big Sur, California triggered evacuations and closed part of a major highway, state and local officials said on Saturday.
- ChinaBeijing introduces more COVID measures as cases mount before Olympics
- Asia PacificOne surrendered Hong Kong hamster tests COVID positive as city lockdown grows
- Asia PacificNew Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern cancels her wedding amid new Omicron restrictions
- Asia PacificS.Korea reports second-highest COVID count ahead of holiday
- Asia PacificTwo Australian states to test school students twice weekly for COVID
- IndiaIndia's COVID-19 cases rise by 333,533 in last 24 hours - govt
- Healthcare & PharmaceuticalsPfizer CEO sees annual COVID vaccine rather than frequent boosters