February 2, 2018 / 6:34 AM / a year ago

Harris' buzzer-beater carries Nuggets past Thunder

Gary Harris hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to lift the Denver Nuggets to a dramatic 127-124 victory over the visiting Oklahoma City Thunder on Thursday night at Pepsi Center.

After losing by one to Boston on Monday and two at San Antonio on Tuesday, the Nuggets never trailed but blew all of a 20-point lead and were in a 124-124 deadlock when the Thunder’s Paul George knocked down a step-back 3-pointer with 1.4 seconds left.

Denver then called its last timeout, and Nikola Jokic capped ninth career triple-double by throwing an accurate pass to Harris just before a possible five-second violation. Harris came from the paint to the left side and released the shot as Russell Westbrook raced over to defend the shot. The ball cleanly went through the hoop.

Jamal Murray led the Nuggets with 33 points while Jokic totaled 29 points, 14 assists and 13 rebounds for his third triple-double of the season. Harris finished with 25 points. The buzzer-beater was the guard’s fifth 3-pointer of the game.

George led all scorers 43 points, 14 of them in the fourth quarter. He shot 19 of 26 from the floor and hit five 3-pointers.

Westbrook fell a rebound shy of his 16th triple-double as the star guard finished with 20 points and 21 assists, five shy of his career high. He scored 16 of his points in the second half and finished 7 of 18 from the field.

Jerami Grant added 18 points for the Thunder, who shot 52 percent but misfired on 19 of 28 3-point attempts.

The Nuggets took a 20-point lead midway through the third quarter and carried a 104-89 edge going into the fourth.

The Thunder mounted a serious charge down the stretch, getting within 120-117 on a 3-pointer by George with 85 seconds left. After an offensive foul by Jokic, George reached 40 points with a drive around Jokic to make it a one-point game.

The Nuggets took a 122-119 lead when Grant was called for goaltending on a floater by Murray with 31.9 seconds left. Westbrook sliced the deficit to 122-121 by easily driving to the rim with 28.9 seconds left.

Following a timeout, Murray drove around Westbrook but missed a mid-range jumper with 10.7 seconds left. Jokic secured the offensive rebound while getting fouled by Westbrook.

With 5.6 seconds remaining, Jokic made both free throws for a 124-121 lead. The Thunder then called their final timeout, setting up the dramatic final sequence.

—Field Level Media

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below