December 22, 2019 / 1:35 AM / a month ago

North Dakota squeaks by Nebraska late

De’Sean Allen-Eikens had 17 points, including the go-ahead free throw with seven seconds remaining, as North Dakota pulled out a 75-74 upset win over Nebraska on Saturday in Lincoln.

The Cornhuskers’ Dachon Burke missed the potential go-ahead jumper with two seconds left, as the Fighting Hawks hung on to win.

Marlon Stewart scored 23 points and added six rebounds, and Allen-Eikens chipped in six boards of his own. Filip Rebraca had 15 points and 11 rebounds, and Kienan Walter tallied 14 points to lead North Dakota (6-7) to its second ever win over Nebraska (5-7), with the other in 1933. That victory was also North Dakota’s last win over a Big Ten opponent.

Nebraska was led by Cam Mack’s 19 points, seven rebounds and seven assists but couldn’t stop North Dakota’s 3-point barrage (11-for-31).

After taking a five-point edge at halftime, the Fighting Hawks saw their lead whittle down to one point before Walter and Davids Atelbauers each canned a 3-pointer for a 46-39 lead.

A few minutes later, North Dakota scored five straight points for an eight-point edge before Mack hit a 3-pointer.

Walter countered with a three to raise the lead to 57-50.

The Cornhuskers capped an 8-0 run when Mack scored on a layup to tie the game at 61-61 with 5:49 left in regulation. Stewart used a three-point play to give the Fighting Hawks some breathing room with a 64-61.

Nebraska took a two-point lead on Matej Kavas’ 3-pointer with 1:42 to play, but Allen-Eikens countered with a 3-point play, and Walter added a layup. Mack’s 3-pointer with 32 seconds left tied it before Allen-Eikens’ winning free throw.

Despite solid back-to-back Big Ten games, including a 14-point win over Purdue, the Cornhuskers came out flat in the first half after a week of finals.

The Fighting Hawks fought back from an early deficit with a 12-2 run to seize a 17-10 lead following a 3-pointer by Allen-Eikens and a basket by Stewart with 12:51 remaining in the first half. North Dakota shot 3-for-6 on 3-pointers while the Cornhuskers missed their first two shots from beyond the arc in the first eight minutes.

Rebraca drilled another 3-pointer to slow down a Nebraska rally to give his team a 26-22 edge. Allen-Eikens canned another three to push the lead to 30-25 with three minutes left. Walter hit a late 3-pointer to help the Fighting Hawks take a 35-30 advantage into halftime.

North Dakota relied on a 5-for-14 shooting effort on 3-pointers and limited the Cornhuskers to a 2-for-9 effort from deep to take a halftime lead.

—Field Level Media

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below