January 4, 2020 / 4:51 AM / 22 days ago

Powell shakes off slow start as Seton Hall tops Georgetown

Myles Powell shook off a slow start and scored 12 of his 15 points after halftime as host Seton Hall led most of the way and beat Georgetown 78-62 Friday night in Newark, N.J.

Jan 3, 2020; Newark, New Jersey, USA; Georgetown Hoyas guard Mac McClung (2) shoots the ball against Seton Hall Pirates center Ike Obiagu (21) during the first half at Prudential Center. Mandatory Credit: Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports

In his second game back from a concussion he sustained in a 20-point loss at Rutgers on Dec. 14, Powell shot 6 of 17 and added a season-high six assists.

The Pirates (10-4, 2-0 Big East) shot 46.3 percent, won their fourth straight since the Rutgers loss and had enough support for Powell, who missed his first four shots.

Romaro Gill led the Pirates with a career-high 17 points, eight rebounds and four blocks while Myles Cale hit a season-high five 3-pointers and matched a season high with 16. McKnight added 14 points and 10 assists while Jared Rhoden contributed nine points and nine rebounds.

Mac McClung returned after missing Tuesday’s loss at Providence with a right eye injury and led Georgetown (10-5, 0-2) with 20 points. Leading scorer Omer Yurtseven experienced his worst night of the season and was held to nine points and five rebounds while shooting 3-of-14 as the Hoyas shot 35.7 percent and missed 14 of 17 3-point tries.

Powell took over the game in an electrifying stretch over a span of 1:47 after Georgetown made seven straight shots to get within 61-50 on a layup by Jamorko Pickett.

With 7:32 left, Powell hit a layup to start a 10-0 run. Nearly a minute later he connected with Rhoden for a dunk and then hit two 3-pointers in a span of 30 seconds to push the lead to 71-50 with 5:45 remaining.

Shortly after Powell’s burst sealed the win, the teams engaged in a brief shoving match.

With 3:19 left, McKnight and McClung exchanged some words. McKnight pointed at the scoreboard to taunt McClung, who was then shoved by Gill. After officials reviewed the play, McKnight and McClung were assessed technical fouls while four players from Georgetown and two from Seton Hall were ejected for coming off the bench.

Cale hit his fifth 3-pointer for a 32-18 lead with 5:51 remaining in the first half. Seton Hall ended the first half by not hitting a field goal for the final 4:31 but held a 41-24 lead by halftime.

McClung’s 3-pointer got Georgetown within 41-29 less than two minutes into the second half but Seton Hall opened a 54-35 lead on consecutive hoops by Powell with about 13 minutes to go before allowing Georgetown’s final comeback attempt.

—Field Level Media

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below