May 10 (Reuters) -
* U.S. Postal Service says 2017 operating revenue was $17.3 billion, a decrease of $474 million from same period last year
* U.S. Postal Service says qtrly revenue from first-class mail and marketing mail decreased $606 million and $331 million respectively over prior year quarter
* U.S. Postal Service says net loss for quarter declined to $562 million from a $2 billion net loss a year ago
* U.S. Postal service says “multi-year trends of declining volumes of letter mail and growth in packages continued this quarter”
* U.S. Postal Service says during Q2, letter mail volumes declined by about 1.4 billion pieces or approximately 3.8 pct
* U.S. Postal Service says during Q2 package volumes grew by 137 million or approximately 11 pct Source text for Eikon:
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.