(Adds futures, news items) Britain’s FTSE 100 index is seen opening 24 points lower at 6,166 on Wednesday, according to financial bookmakers, with futures down 1% ahead of cash markets open.
* ASTRAZENECA: AstraZeneca Plc and Merck & Co Inc said their blockbuster cancer treatment Lynparza won approval in the European Union for treating patients with a form of pancreatic cancer.
* BOOHOO: Online fashion retailer Boohoo said it was launching an independent review of its supply chain in Britain, led by a senior lawyer, following a media report about dire working conditions in one English factory.
* FUNDING CIRCLE: Funding Circle will cut around 85 jobs in its U.S. business, the British-based peer-to-peer lending platform said.
* FIRSTGROUP: UK-based bus and rail operator FirstGroup warned on its ability to continue as a going concern, after posting an annual operating loss.
* INSURANCE: Commercial insurers are facing hefty claims from the coronavirus crisis but are also seeing a steep rise in premiums – tempting companies and industry veterans to raise capital, launch new businesses or expand into new lines.
* OIL: Oil prices dipped after industry data showing a build in U.S. crude stockpiles added to worries about oversupply.
* GOLD: Gold steadied near a more than eight-year high, as worries over surging COVID-19 cases and hopes of more stimulus measures from the U.S. Federal Reserve lifted demand for the safe-haven metal.
* The UK blue-chip index fell 1.5% on Tuesday, as a surge in U.S. coronavirus cases turned investors away from riskier trades.
* For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on:
TODAY’S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines (Reporting by Tapanjana Rudra; Editing by Shailesh Kuber)
Reuters Breakingviews is the world's leading source of agenda-setting financial insight. As the Reuters brand for financial commentary, we dissect the big business and economic stories as they break around the world every day. A global team of about 30 correspondents in New York, London, Hong Kong and other major cities provides expert analysis in real time.
Sign up for a free trial of our full service at https://www.breakingviews.com/trial and follow us on Twitter @Breakingviews and at www.breakingviews.com. All opinions expressed are those of the authors.