* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 0.84 percent to 16,996.97
* Leading the index were Cenovus Energy Inc , up 7.4%, ARC Resources Ltd , up 7.1%, and Tourmaline Oil Corp , higher by 6%.
* Lagging shares were Torex Gold Resources Inc , down 6.7%, OceanaGold Corp, down 6.4%, and First Majestic Silver Corp, lower by 5.9%.
* On the TSX 151 issues rose and 76 fell as a 2-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 19 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 175.6 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Encana Corp , Canadian Natural Resources Ltd and Bombardier Inc.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 5.86 points, or 4.5%, while the financials sector climbed 1.60 points, or 0.5%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose 1.06%, or $0.62, to $59.05 a barrel. Brent crude rose 1.39% , or $0.88, to $64.27 [O/R]
* The TSX is up 18.7% for the year.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.