* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s TSX rises 3.31 percent to 14,359.88
* Leading the index were MEG Energy Corp <MEG.TO>, up 19.2%, Stars Group Inc , up 16.8%, and Shopify Inc , higher by 12.2%.
* Lagging shares were Silvercorp Metals Inc , down 7.8%, Alacer Gold Corp, down 7.5%, and Torex Gold Resources Inc, lower by 7.2%.
* On the TSX 190 issues rose and 39 fell as a 4.9-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 4 new highs and no new lows, with total volume of 373.4 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc , Cenovus Energy Inc and Royal Bank Of Canada.
* The TSX’s energy group rose 4.83 points, or 8.3%, while the financials sector climbed 10.68 points, or 4.5%.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 8.81%, or $1.75, to $18.12 a barrel. Brent crude rose 1.62%, or $0.45, to $28.27
* The TSX is off 15.8% for the year.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.