* The Toronto Stock Exchange’s S&P/TSX rose 37.36 points, or 0.23 percent, to 16,613.46.
* Leading the index were MAG Silver Corp, up 8.6 percent, Hexo Corp, up 8.5 percent, and Aecon Group Inc, higher by 7.1 percent.
* Lagging shares were Mullen Group Ltd, down 13.4 percent, Turquoise Hill Resources Ltd, down 6.5 percent, and Peyto Exploration & Development Corp, lower by 6.3 percent.
* On the TSX 143 issues rose and 96 fell as a 1.5-to-1 ratio favored advancers. There were 5 new highs and 4 new lows, with total volume of 222.3 million shares.
* The most heavily traded shares by volume were Bombardier Inc, Crescent Point Energy Corp and Hexo Corp.
* The TSX’s energy group fell 2.46 points, or 1.5 percent, while the financials sector climbed 1.28 points, or 0.4 percent.
* West Texas Intermediate crude futures fell 3.62 percent, or $2.35, to $62.86 a barrel. Brent crude fell 3.64 percent, or $2.71, to $71.64
* The TSX is up 16 percent for the year.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.