October 3, 2011 / 5:05 PM / 7 years ago

Cyprus president denies blame for munitions blast

NICOSIA, Oct 3 (Reuters) - Cypriot President Demetris Christofias on Monday denied personal responsibility for a deadly munitions blast in July, saying a state-appointed investigator who blamed him for the disaster exceeded his mandate.

“The President of the Republic categorically denies that he has personal responsibility for the incident. This conclusion (by the investigator) is not substantiated by evidence or the material which was submitted to the board of inquiry. On the contrary,” Christofias said in a written statement.

Earlier on Monday state-appointed independent investigator Polys Polyviou said the president and two former ministers had institutional and personal responsibility for the blast in a cargo of decaying Iranian munitions confiscated by Cyprus in early 2009. The blast on July 11 killed 13 people and destroyed Cyprus’s largest power station.

Reporting By Michele Kambas

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below