LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Police were called for the second time in three months to the Hollywood Hills home of actress Lindsay Lohan on Sunday to investigate a burglary there.
No one was home during the break-in, which Lohan discovered after the fact, according to an officer at the Los Angeles Police Department’s Hollywood station. He gave no other details except to say that no arrests had been made.
A statement from the performer’s publicist, Leslie Sloane, said “many of (Lohan’s) personal belongings were taken without remorse” in the break-in, which police said was reported at about 6:30 a.m. local time.
The celebrity news website TMZ.com reported that the actress found things amiss after coming home at about 3 a.m. and called her father, Michael Lohan, who called police.
He told TMZ that a safe was ripped off a wall in the home and that a couple of watches were taken, and that he believes the theft was “an inside job” because employees for his daughter had failed to turn on the house burglar alarm.
“I’m not going to put up with individuals violating my family,” the father was quoted as saying. “This is a personal violation and it has got to stop.”
TMZ also cited an unnamed source as saying three men can be seen in a surveillance video breaking into Lohan’s home. Sloane said the house has a surveillance system as that “police are in custody of the footage.”
Lohan’s mother, Dina, told People magazine’s website that a door was found off its hinges with handles removed. “Bags, shoes and jewelry were taken, too,” she said. “Thank God she wasn’t home.” She said Lohan already was planning to move to “a safer place.”
A previous burglary attempt was reported there in May, police said. According to TMZ the suspects in that incident apparently were frightened off by the alarm, but not before intruders were captured on videotape trying to gain entry.
A number of media reports at the time quoted police as saying officers initially thought the house had been ransacked but determined that the place was just messy.
The 23-year-old actress has sought lately to rebuild her career after a string of high-profile personal problems that included a 2007 conviction for drunken driving and cocaine possession. Last month, she starred in a ABC Family television movie and launched a new TV and film production company with her fashion-line partner.
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.