BRATISLAVA Slovakia is to take legal action at
the European Court of Justice against the European Union's plan
to force all member countries share out 120,000 asylum seekers,
Prime Minister Robert Fico said on Wednesday.
Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Hungary and Romania had
opposed the mandatory quotas for redistributing migrants from
Italy and Greece but the group was outvoted at a meeting of EU
interior ministers earlier this month.
Slovakia is the only one of them to resort to legal action
so far. The Czechs and Romanians have said they will not sue and
the Hungarians have only said they would consider it.
"We disagree with mandatory quotas and we formalised that
opinion today," Fico told a news conference in the central
Slovak city of Nitra after the government agreed the move.
The suit will be drafted by lawyers within the next two
months, the Justice Ministry said.
Slovakia should initially take in 802 migrants under the EU
relocation scheme, which it sees as an encouragement for
migrants to keep coming.
It has argued the EU should rather focus on securing its
external borders, enforcing existing asylum rules and providing
aid around conflict zones.
Fico said he did not fear the quota system would be
implemented against Slovakia's will as it was not technically
Slovakia is not a target country for migrants and it has
said it had no power to keep them in if they wish to move on to
Germany and other richer EU member states.