HELSINKI, June 22 (Reuters) - Position: Finland’s Minister of Finance Incumbent: Petteri Orpo Date of Birth: November 3, 1969 Term: From June 2016. Next parliamentary election takes place in April 2019.
* Orpo was elected in June as the new leader of Finland’s co-ruling, conservative National Coalition Party in a vote which ousted Alexander Stubb from NCP’s helm
* Consequently, Orpo also took over Stubb’s role of finance minister in the three-party centre-right government
* In contrast to polyglot and outspoken Stubb, Orpo is seen as a careful consensus-seeker with little experience of international politics, but he is hoped to revive NCP’s flagging support
* Orpo previously served as the government’s interior minister and was hailed across the political spectrum for his handling of the migration crisis
* Following his nomination, Orpo said he was not pushing for any big changes in the government’s programme
* He said his main challenge was to come up with growth-boosting measures at a time of austerity in the stagnant euro member economy
Reporting by Jussi Rosendahl
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.