STOCKHOLM, Sept 4 (Reuters) - Geely-owned Volvo Car Group said in a statement on Monday its sales rose 15.5 percent year-on year in August boosted by strong growth in major markets such as China, Sweden and Germany.
* Volvo says global retail sales in August reached 37,879 cars, up from 32,800 cars a year earlier.
* Says strong increase mainly driven by demand for Volvo’s new 90-series cars, while the first generation XC60 remains the best-selling model.
* Jan-Aug sales up 8.7 pct compared to year earlier, Volvo says confident it will report a fourth consecutive annual sales record in 2017.
* Says saw sharpest growth in Asia Pacific among main regions, up 20.2 pct, with China, Volvo’s largest market, up 25.9 pct.
* Sales in the EMEA region increased 18.9 pct, where “double-digit increases in key markets such as Sweden and Germany drove the result”.
* The Americas region returned to growth, up 5.0 pct in August, after declining in June and July. United States sales grew 4.1 pct.
Source text: bit.ly/2vDCPnQ
Reporting by Johannes Hellstrom; editing by Niklas Pollard