BEIJING, Feb 1 (Reuters) - China’s industrial metals mostly went up on Friday ahead of the week-long national holiday, as expectations of progress in high-level trade talks between China and the United States shored up market sentiment.
Meanwhile, the Federal Reserve’s more dovish stance also helped to boost investor risk appetite.
* The most-traded zinc contract for March delivery on the Shanghai Futures Exchange surged as much as 2.5 percent to their highest in 9 months during early trade. It rose 1.6 percent to 22,265 yuan ($3,325.22) a tonne as of 0130 GMT.
* TRADE TALKS: U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday he will meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping soon to try to seal a comprehensive trade deal as Trump and his top trade negotiator both cited substantial progress in two days of high-level talks.
* USD: The dollar fell to two-week lows against the yen on Thursday, pressured by the Federal Reserve’s cautious outlook on the U.S. economy, which suggested that the central bank is near the end of its tightening cycle.
* COPPER: World top copper miner Codelco said on Thursday it had struck a contract deal with the union of supervisors at its Gabriela Mistral mine in northern Chile, averting the threat of a strike.
* ALUMINIUM: Aluminium Corp of China 601600.SS,2600.HK known as Chalco, said late on Wednesday it had stopped production at an aluminium smelting plant in eastern China’s Shandong province, citing high electricity costs.
* For the top stories in metals and other news, click or
* Asian shares ticked up to four-month highs on Friday on hopes the leaders from the United States and China could strike a trade deal and as the Federal Reserve appeared to have all but abandoned a plan to raise borrowing rates further.
0855 Germany Markit/BME Mfg PMI Jan
0900 EU Markit Mfg Final PMI Jan
0930 Britain Markit/CIPS Mfg PMI Jan
1000 EU HICP Flash Jan
1100 Brazil Industrial Output Dec
1330 US Non-Farm Payrolls Jan
1330 US Unemployment Rate Jan
1330 US Average Earnings Jan
1500 US ISM Manufacturing PMI Jan
Three month LME copper
Most active ShFE copper
Three month LME aluminium
Most active ShFE aluminium
Three month LME zinc
Most active ShFE zinc
Three month LME lead
Most active ShFE lead
Three month LME nickel
Most active ShFE nickel
Three month LME tin
Most active ShFE tin
ARBS ($1 = 6.6958 Chinese yuan renminbi) (Reporting by Muyu Xu and Dominique Patton; Editing by Rashmi Aich)