LONDON, June 25 (Reuters) -
* Spanish utility Iberdrola has invested an undisclosed sum in Spanish electric vehicle charging company Wallbox, the company said on Tuesday.
* Wallbox has completed a 15 million euro ($17 million) funding round led by Iberdrola through its Perseo start-up programme which will enable it to expand globally, Iberdrola said in a statement.
* The funding round was led by Iberdrola and further capital provided by new investors and existing partners.
* Several European utilities are acquiring or investing in electric vehicle charging companies as carmakers introduce a greater variety of plug-in electric and hybrid models.
* “As Iberdrola continues to invest in customer solutions for electric vehicles, as well as the smart grids and green energy needed to support them, we envisage a range of new partnerships being created in the coming years,” Diego Diaz Pilas, head of new ventures and technology prospects at Iberdrola, said.
$1 = 0.8785 euros Reporting by Nina Chestney