November 14, 2019 / 3:45 AM / a month ago

Capitals overcome pesky Flyers, Hart in shootout

T.J. Oshie and Evgeny Kuznetsov each scored in the shootout to lift the visiting Washington Capitals past the Philadelphia Flyers 2-1 on Wednesday.

Nov 13, 2019; Philadelphia, PA, USA; Washington Capitals right wing Richard Panik (14) and Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere (53) battle for position during the first period at Wells Fargo Center. Mandatory Credit: Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports

Claude Giroux scored for the Flyers in the shootout but Jakub Voracek and Sean Couturier each missed as the Capitals earned at least one point for the 13th straight game, going 11-0-2 in the stretch.

Brendan Leipsic scored Washington’s lone goal in regulation while John Carlson picked up his league-leading 22nd assist.

Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby made 30 saves.

Giroux also scored in regulation for the Flyers, who had their season-high four-game winning streak snapped. They went to at least overtime for the sixth time in seven games, with five of those being decided by shootout.

Flyers goaltender Carter Hart stopped 35 shots, with several point-blank saves down the stretch in regulation to help the Flyers salvage a point.

The Capitals struck first at 6:13 of the opening period as Leipsic took advantage of a rebound off Hart and sent the puck easily into the net.

Philadelphia struggled with its forechecking and managed only five shots on goal in the first period despite being awarded one power play.

Washington received its third power play at 10:47 of the second period and Philadelphia’s Oskar Lindblom had the initial scoring chance shorthanded, though he was denied by Holtby. The aggressive Flyers’ penalty kill stymied the Capitals during the two minutes.

Philadelphia was then given its third power play at 13:01 but couldn’t capitalize, either.

The pace picked up with both teams coming up with quality scoring opportunities — Alex Ovechkin for the Capitals and Travis Konecny, who hit the post on a wrist shot, for the Flyers. Washington took a 1-0 advantage into the locker room at the end of the second.

The Capitals had a flurry of chances in the first few minutes of the third and Philadelphia’s Kevin Hayes then fired a wrist shot at 4:51 which was saved by Holtby.

The Flyers came through on their fourth power play as Giroux scored to tie the game at 1 at 6:38. Voracek slid a pass through the crease and Giroux converted for his fifth goal.

Washington’s Tom Wilson nearly scored with 30 seconds left but Hart made a stellar save and the game went into overtime. Couturier had the best chance in the extra session when he struck the post on a slap shot during 3-on-3 play.

—Field Level Media

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below