April 14, 2018 / 2:43 AM / in 9 months

Jets dominate Wild to take 2-0 series lead

Winnipeg Jets goalie Connor Hellebuyck came within a minute of notching a shutout in the team’s 4-1 victory against the visiting Minnesota Wild in Game 2 of the Western Conference quarterfinals Friday night at Bell MTS Place in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Tyler Myers, Paul Stastny, Andrew Copp and Patrik Laine scored for the Jets, who continued the home-ice dominance that they displayed during the regular season. The Jets have won the first two games of the series at home. Game 3 is Sunday night in St. Paul, Minn.

There was a significant delay with 10 seconds remaining after plenty of physical, post-whistle action, perhaps setting a tone for the remainder of the series. Seventy penalty minutes were handed out in the last 10 seconds.

The Wild’s Zach Parise scored on a power play with 44.8 seconds remaining for Minnesota’s goal, coming on the team’s third shot of the period. That made the Wild 1-for-4 on power plays.

Hellebuyck needed only 16 saves. He stopped 18 of 20 shots two nights earlier.

Wild goalie Devan Dubnyk made 39 saves.

Six different players accounted for Winnipeg’s first six goals in the postseason before Laine scored with 2:02 left for his second goal of the series.

Myers scored with 11:19 remaining in the second period, darting toward the net from the right side and sending a shot that Dubnyk didn’t get a good read on. Myers had a busy first two periods because he was in the penalty box twice, once in the first period and once in the second.

Stastny and Copp scored within a two-minute span of the third period. Stastny took a pass from Dustin Byfuglien, who was behind the net, and deposited the puck for a 2-0 lead. Copp redirected a shot from Bryan Little for his goal.

Seven different Winnipeg players were credited with assists, including one for Laine, a rookie sensation, on Stastny’s goal and one for Myers on Laine’s goal. Jack Roslovic assisted on Myers’ and Copp’s tallies.

Winnipeg, which had 40 shots in the series opener, reached that mark with about seven minutes remaining in the second game.

The teams had a scoreless first period for the second game in a row.

The Jets played without forward Mathieu Perreault, who departed Game 1 with an upper-body injury and was considered a game-time decision for Friday night.

—Field Level Media

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below